Don’t be caught out! Set your diary for our month-by-month wedding checklist
- Decide on budget
- Fix a date and time
- Decide on guest numbers
- Research to find your perfect venue!
- Check world weather
- Send out save the day cards
- Take out wedding insurance and include your wedding dress
- Make appointments to try out wedding dresses
- Start downloading music if planning a CD for reception
- Check availability at resorts and get prices
- Book your hotel and wedding package
- Order invitations and envelopes as well as place cards
- Inform guests of travel plans and give them your tour operator details so they can work out their own arrangements
- Set up a Honeymoon Gift List
- Pick your bridesmaids, ushers and best man
- Decide on your dress – allow at least four months for a made-to-measure gown to be delivered
- Start thinking about a theme for your wedding
- Choose and order your bridesmaids outfits
- Discuss with your wedding planners what documents you need
- Check your passport is up to date
- Arrange your travel insurance
- If you are having a religious ceremony, discuss readings and choose music for your service
- Check whether readings and music are permitted for a civil ceremony
- Choose and order favours
- Shop for table decorations, confetti and trimmings
- Choose shoes and accessories for you and your bridesmaids
- Remind your fiancé to get his and the ushers outfits
- Choose gifts for your attendants, best man, mum and helpers
- Chase up any guests who haven’t responded.
- Book a consultation with your hairstylist
- Start your course of Restylane fillers, permanent hair removal, cosmetic tweaks and slimming treatments.
- Go shopping for honeymoon clothes
- Check whether you need visas or inoculations
- Start arrangements for your stag and hen party
- Start your diet and fitness campaign
- Check that you have received all the correct documentation, including travel tickets. Check the details carefully for correct names, dates and times of flights.
- Inform the tour operator of guests who are staying at different hotels – day passes need to be arranged for them.
- Book a makeup session at a department store and choose your wedding makeup. Make sure it is heat and water-resistant if you are going to hot climes.
- Choose your ‘special wedding perfume’
- Book your pre-wedding hair appointment for cut and colour
- Choose a company for a gift list and make your selection
- Check that your fiancé has the rings and his wedding clothes
- Collect your wedding dress
- Book your beauty treatments, including nails, facial, fake tan, waxing, eyebrow shape, false lashes
- Double check that you have all the original documentation for your wedding
- Make sure you have a suitable luggage carrier for your wedding dress for transportation in the hold of the plane.
- Buy your sun protection, travel-sized products etc.
- Boost your diet and fitness plan for fine-tuning
- Work out the seating plan for your reception
- Discuss final checklist with your wedding planner.
- Check that your passport, visas, inoculations and insurance are in place
- Have your final hair appointment and ask for tips and products. Take photographs to show hairdressers at your destination.
- Two days prior to departure have beauty treatments including nails, facial, fake tan, waxing, eyebrow shape, false lashes etc.
- Order your travel cheques and currency
- Have your stag and hen party
On arrival at your resort
- Meet the resort’s wedding co-ordinator to check all documentation and set a day, time and location for the ceremony.
- Choose your flowers, cake and witnesses
- Order add-ons such as larger cake, more wine, extra buttonholes, photographer, music and transport to the ceremony
- Check that day passes and special permissions for children have been arranged for guests staying at other hotels.
- Arrange hairstylist, beauty appointments and spa treatments.
The day before your wedding
- You will have a wedding rehearsal with your wedding co-ordinator
- Have a spa massage to relax you for your big day
- Have a top-up spray tan if needed.
The big day
- Have your hair and makeup done at the hotel
- Your wedding co-ordinator will check everything else is in place.
- Once the Marriage Officer arrives you will receive a call to let you know it’s time to say ‘I Do’
Check your documents!
- You will need originals – or copies certified by a notary or solicitor of the following. But do check with your wedding tour operator and or wedding planner.10 year passport, valid for at least six months
- Birth certificates
- If you are divorced, a decree absolute
- If widowed, a death certificate and previous marriage certificate
- An affidavit signed by a solicitor stating no legal objection to the marriage
- If you have chanced your name by deed poll, proof stamped and signed by a solicitor
- Visit fco.gov.uk for further details, and do check with your tour operator and wedding planner before you leave for your destination.