This beautiful island in the Canary Islands is perfect for weddings and honeymoons throughout the year, and its just a short hop from British shores
Situated just 79 miles off the coast of Africa, Lanzarote is the most easterly of the Canary Islands and the fourth largest at 37 miles long and 12 miles wide. Due to the recent volcanic eruptions during the 18th and 19th Centuries, many parts of Lanzarote have Volcanic Landscapes and the island is described as ‘Lunar’ or ‘Martian’. Amongst its stunning volcanic features is the longest Volcanic Tunnel in the world – the Atlantida Tunnel, which is over 7 km long and includes the La Cueva de los Verdes and Jameos del Agua. Volcanoes dominate it not all though – Lanzarote has several beautiful white beaches including Playa Blanca, Papagayo and Caleton Blanco. For more active couples, the island offers great surf at Famara, windsurfing at Costa Teguise and world-class sports training facilities at La Santa Sport.
Marry in the Canary Islands
If you marry in the Canary Islands you can have a beautiful, symbolic wedding ceremony without the stresses of having to produce documents, have them translated and apply for a marriage license. Marriage of foreigners in the Canary Islands is not currently legal, so your ceremony will be a blessing only. If you and your partner are British citizens, then to have a legal marriage, you will both need to apply and marry in the UK – i.e. a civil wedding at a registry office – before your ceremony in the Canary Islands. Before you leave the UK you will both first need to give notice of marriage at your local registry office. There is a 15-day wait during the publication of the banns, after which you will be free to marry in the UK. You can then travel to The Canary Islands and enjoy a truly romantic symbolic wedding ceremony at the venue of your choice – with your friends and family as guests if you choose.
6 THINGS TO DO
- Hop on a ferry and travel between the islands of Lanzarote and Fuerteventura for a honeymoon that’s twice as nice!
- Take the cable car to the top of Mount Teide in Tenerife for spectacular views.
- Get in touch with your inner Martian and visit the lunar landscapes of Lanzarote – especially the Atlantida Tunnel, the longest Volcanic Tunnel in the world.
- Take a day trip to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria to visit museums and galleries before hitting the shops!
- Relax on the beach at Maspalomas in Gran Canaria and marvel at the magnificent sand dunes as you catch a few rays.
- Go Kite Surfing on the beach in Fuerteventura for the ultimate adrenaline rush.
Are you planning a wedding or honeymoon in Lanzarote?
Speak to one of our experts today. Complete the form below and we’ll call you back.
"We always said that we would get married abroad but I didn’t necessairily want a traditional beach wedding. It is something that we had previously spoken about so once Qamar had proposed we knew that’s what would happen."